Everly’s Birth Story

I wanted to write this ever since Everly was born. I wanted to share her beautiful birth story but seems like I forgot how busy it is with a newborn. Lol.

Here I am now, Everly is napping and I’m surprisingly not tired enough to nap with her. I have some time (maybe 30 mins or so, to write Everly’s birth story.

As you know from my stories and posts, I was at 40 weeks 4 days when I had my last OB appointment. I was overdue and ready for Miss Everly to make an appearance. I received three stretch & sweeps, and did almost every hack or trick to start labour on my own. Clearly, didn’t work, since I was 2 cm dilated for a couple weeks. I had a visit with my OB on Monday, October 1 st. to discuss the option of induction.  During that appoinment I had my fourth and final stretch & sweep, and wow did it hurt!!….OMG! She told me she swept me good…lol! I didn’t really believe her, since the others didn’t work. ;-0. By the time I left the office, we booked my induction for the Wednesday of that week, (40 weeks 6 days).

I went home and was on my same daily routine, (house chores, kids…etc.). The night came, and at around 11:30p.m I felt my first contraction. I wasn’t sure if it was braxtion hicks or real time contractions. I got my phone and began tracking them…..11:51, 12:01, 12:08, 12:16, 12:25…..1:35, 1:42, 1:49…by 2 a.m., we were off to the hospital.

While on route, we messaged Heidi to let her know that baby Everly was on her way. I wanted to have my best friend Heidi there for the birth since she is a significant part in our lives and big part of my kids lives as well. I also wanted her to be there for Everly’s birth because she is a nurse and able to support me during my labour. Luckily, she doubles as a photographer and documented the birth.

We arrived around 2:30 a.m., and was hooked up to the machines to monitor the contractions. I was about 3 1/2 dilated. They told me to go for a walk around the hospital for two hours and come back. I was dreading those words since I arrived. I was instructed to do so for Jaxson’s labour. I didn’t last for 30 mins and was in so much pain. When I returned to L&D I was already 9 cm dilated. That was my fear with Everly’s labour and of course the dreadful back labour. I also worried about having another big baby (10lbs), yup thats right, we make big babies!

But away we went for a walk and tracking how far the contractions were. The hallways were empty but just a couple of lonely pregnant ladies walking around, lol! I made my 10,000 steps just before 4 a.m. lol!  4:30a.m approached, my contractions were 3 minutes apart with on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the most pain), contractions, I was at 7, I was ready to pack it in and head back.

Back to the L&D ward, I was admitted and Heidi arrived at the same time. We got situated in the room and I had asked for the epidural ahead of time. I almost missed my window with Jaxson, so didn’t want that to happen again. My OB broke my water to get things really going. I had my epideral and it was smooth sailing. We watched my contractions on the monitor, talked, read magazines, got Starbucks etc. while waiting for this little pumpkin to show face.


I was told earlier about the delivery process as it had changed since I last gave birth, (9 years ago…lol). They told me that once Everly was born, she immediately goes on my chest for skin to skin bonding. No wiping, no cleaning, no weighing, nothing….just directly on me for an hour to bond and to feed. At first, I wasn’t too sure about this new process since I was used to the clean-up before being able to bond with my baby.

Everything was going smooth by 8 am, until they had to check my cervix again. When they finished, they raised my head back up. All of a sudden, I felt like puking and was extremely tired, tired enough to be fighting to keep my eyes open. Apparently I dropped my blood pressure. Heidi was able to tell me exactly what was happening which was a reassuring since so many things seemed to be happening at once.

Thankfully I had Heidi to help and ask questions. After that happened, they decided to lower my epidural to the point I started to feel the contractions again. I told the nurse to increase it back up as I don’t want to be in pain when pushing. She finally did it after several discussions and I was back in the painless free zone. YAY

11:00 a.m. I was ready to push. Told my nurse and she got the resident and my OB. They checked my cervix and said, “Let’s have a baby!”

My little Everly was ready to come out and see us finally. Now by this time, the epidural wore off a bit and as I was pushing, I could feel her in my cervix and the pain. But I was in it to win it, ready for all this to be over. I pushed and squealed for 19 mins, and out comes her beautiful round head. Then her arms. Then her torso. Just before her legs came out, they instructed me to grab her and pull her out myself and place her right on my chest. I reached out to grab my beautiful baby girl, while looking at her thinking to myself, we made her….we made this beautiful human being, (I was crying and I’m crying now as I write this). When I felt her arms and lifted onto my chest and held her so close to my body, it was the most amazing experience of my life. Words can’t express the overwhelming emotions that runs through your body as you look down at your baby for the first time. The baby that was growing in your tummy for 9 months, the one that was kicking you in the ribs for months, they one that you made sure to eat right and take your prenatal vitamins for, the one that you listened to her heart beat at every appointment and the one that was holding my index finger so tight as she laid on my chest knowing I’m blessed to be her mother. She was here, Everly Michelle, our third beautiful child. This experience was one I will never forget.

Everly Michelle

9 lbs 8 oz

11:34 a.m

22 cm long

The kids were so excited to meet their new baby sister. We are over the moon with her and are thankful that we decided to make our family of four into a family of five.

Special thanks to Heidi for being part of Everly’s birth story & to the nurses and my OB at MUMH in Hamilton, Ontario.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s